10 March 2010

Geek Version Of Gun Meme

The "What three guns" question is one that came up quite a bit playing Nexus worlds.

The answer quite often is, "it depends on the world."

Where resupply was sketchy, we tended towards guns that ate the most common ammunition we could think of.

I actually BOUGHT a Colt Anaconda 4" in .45 Colt because I expected to play myself in a scenario where we were transported to the old west.

I selected several guns over the years based on their proven durability, if not reliability. I called it my African Thumb Method. If an unsupported african rebel can keep it running, it's good enough. Of course, being a gamer means taking the FAL over the AK because it gets two more dice damage and has more range.

The most common handgun on my character sheets is the M1911A1.
I hardly ever took a shotgun; a rifle that did the same dice of damage always did so at longer ranges for less weight.
The most common rifle is a three-way tie between the SMLE #3 Mk1, FN FAL and M16A2.

Even though I very rarely needed it, I chose a rifle that could take a bayonet whenever it was allowed. Guns just don't break in game worlds, really and players hardly ever run out of ammo.

If you run your world realistically enough that they don't hit like snipers, even in a pitched firefight, they whine piteously. When you hit like a sniper in all conditions, a basic load will last you almost forever.

Imported Comments:


10th-Mar-2010 10:09 am (local) weerdbeard

"Even though I very rarely needed it, I chose a rifle that could take a bayonet whenever it was allowed." Because GMs can get bored too, and a gun with a fucking knife on the end of it can make some VERY amusing story telling.

And when a GM smiles upon you, GOD smiles upon you! : ]

Hey, FYI, I haven't logged much trigger time with an FAL, being that I don't live in free America, do they have bolt hold-opens?

10th-Mar-2010 07:14 pm (local) mcthag

You'll notice that I said I very rarely needed a bayonet, not never. Our cross time party was being attacked by a hoard of Orcs and I didn't have time to work the bolt on my SMLE, but I had taken the time to mount the bayonet before the fight started. Big heavy guns like SMLE's also make fair dinkum clubs in GURPS too.

My FAL has a bolt hold-open. Most metric pattern guns do.

The inch pattern guns weren't issued with them, but you can replace that part easily; I did on my first FAL. Just takes a screwdriver.

Actually, I just realized; ALL FAL's have a bolt hold open. Some don't have the little pin that lets the follower in the magazine hold it open on the last round.

Edited at 2010-03-10 07:19 pm (local)

11th-Mar-2010 04:44 am (local) weerdbeard

Cool thanks. Saw somebody doing a combat reload on youtube, where he fired 1 round from a mag, then stoked a new mag with 3 rounds. But in the change he ran the bolt the whole length of travel. Ergos are better, but that's exactly why I won't waste my time with the G3/PTR91 pattern.

11th-Mar-2010 04:53 am (local) mcthag

I totally forgot!

Are you an ATF agent? Because if you are you have to tell me or it's intrapment [sic].

[grin]

11th-Mar-2010 06:25 am (local) weerdbeard

ATF doesn't NEED to entrap. They just need to note that your hand guards will fit a full-auto M16 that you don't have...but also don't have the paperwork for. Also they can take 10 mins to sabotage the firing pin on any of your guns to make them slamfire and put you in the pound-you-in-the-ass federal prison!

ATF: Always Think Forfeiture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.