04 March 2010

An Errant Thought

Because of the separation between church and state, I am not allowed to have religious displays on public property.

Why are the police allowed to use a church parking lot as a staging area for their SWAT team?

Where's the ACLU?

If they want me to take this seriously the barrier has to run both directions.

Imported Comments Thread


5th-Mar-2010 01:37 am (local) ravenclaw_eric

Why do you want to have religious displays on public property, for the love of sweet sanity? Do you want Westboro Baptist Church to have their banners up on the Topeka City Hall? (And yes, that it what it would lead to; those people are insanely litigous and would seize on this in a heartbeat, and the City of Topeka would give in rather than pour tons o'money down the drain to fight "a law office with a cross on top.")

It's kind of like not allowing judges to wear political campaign buttons on their robes, even in places where judges are elected.


5th-Mar-2010 10:14 pm (local) mcthag

Freedom of is not freedom from.

There are certain branches of Atheism that are damn sure trying to make Atheism the State Religion by default.

I don't want that. I like local not central control of the local government, and banning things the whole community wants because someone (who rarely seems to live there) is offended in passing runs contrary to freedom as I see it.

It's not a logical position. It's a gut one. I am still working it out and posting and replying is helping me stake out a thought-out position that's not emotional. It's not something I can do just by thinking about it and won't get finished if someone is attacking me (which YOU have not done).

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.