24 February 2012

Getting Involved

Two threads about the relationship of the police to the community.

In the original thread's comments, someone mentioned Sir Robert Peel.  There's a follow up on a commenter's own blog.

Robert Peel's Principles are what's lacking in today's law enforcement.  The police are merely people paid to do this job, not the only people who can.

It's simple delegation of power.  We people have delegated some powers to the government in certain, restricted, circumstances.  The catch is we cannot delegate a power which is not ours by right.  What that boils down to is the police, literally, cannot do anything a citizen may not.

Note my use of the word "powers" and not the word "rights".  Governments do not have rights, they have powers.  Citizens have rights.  The People have rights.

I find that government at all levels, but especially police, do not like to be reminded that they are the creation of the people rather than their masters.

I differ with the attitude that an officers life is worth more than a common citizen's and deserves special protections.  When you put on a uniform, any uniform, you become an extension of The State.  A very small extension.  So small that your spontaneous combustion into base elements will not harm the health of the state even one iota.  Sacrificial and interchangeable; to the state.  You are The State, you are the instrument of The State's powers.  Remember, The State has no rights!  That means you, as an agent of The State also have no rights while you wield its powers.

The scratchy part is cops are people as well as citizens.  This is where the theory and the practice diverge.  To me it is simple, the individual officers get the same rights as I have.  No more, no less.  If I shoot a bad guy in self defense, I am on my own hook for all the legal repercussions, aren't I?  I have to hire my own lawyer, take time off work and my life and liberty hang in the balance.

Can many police say the same thing when they've shot someone?

I've long been an advocate of when a cop shoots someone, they are unemployed by any government agency for at least 6 months.  That proves to me it was serious enough for The State to take a citizen's life.  Remember, officer, when you shoot someone wearing that uniform, YOU ARE THE STATE.  The State can spare you.  Because I am compassionate, I will let you defend your life in my service, but you must show that it was the only thing you could have done.

In cases like Canton, Ohio the punishments for police should be more severe than an individual performing the same act.  Remember, it's not officer Harless violating the motorist's rights, but The State.  The government of Canton, Ohio; through officer Harless committed assault.  The State of Ohio though incorporation of The City of Canton committed assault.  Harless should be punished severely and criminally for what he did in that video, because most assuredly I would be in jail for identical activities.  If the department covers for such officers, we have such laws as RICO.  Punish up the stream until you meet someone pushing back down with charges!  By the way, the citizenry clamoring for justice here, is a top down demand not a bottom up request.  That's another topic entirely about the servants forgetting their place and who is really in charge here.

As I hear over and over from law enforcement, if you don't want to get into trouble, obey the law.  You first; you too: Officer.

This is harsh because The State or Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.