25 April 2012

Thank God You Were Here!

Yes, top break guns are an inherently weaker design than swing out revolvers.

Yes, they no longer make new break open designs.

The first place I'd ever seen a below cylinder axis bore revolver was the anime Trigun.

The point you've had made to you twice now is that it would be cool to have a firing replica of a gun from a cartoon.  Making such a gun is by its very nature impractical.  However, such a gun would not be impossible.  Several companies have made moving parts plastic replicas, one person even made a wooden one, there are even air-soft versions.  The gun in the anime is clearly marked as .45 Colt which is well within a top-break's ability to handle.  The only serious complications are the low bore itself, how do we transfer the blow from the hammer to the firing pin in an elegant and simple manner and how do we run the cam for the ejector?  Engineering details not scientific questions.




Every once and a while you have to do something out of whimsy and not for cold functionality.  A centerfire LeMat would be in this category as well.

I read what you were saying and understood it, you were explaining why top break revolvers were supplanted and replaced by swing-out designs.  Do keep lecturing me on why top break designs went away while not reading what I am talking about.  You may also consider teaching your grandmother to suck eggs since you are out to teach the taught.

9 comments:

  1. Dude, chill. It wasn't personal. Bunny is just a bit pedantic at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't go off on him at your place. That's as good as I can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, fair enough, and I thank you for that. And it's not my intent to dictate what you can say on your blog. I'm just saying that, as a friend to both parties, he probably didn't mean it like that. He's Swedish, and frequently anal, and often drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What really pisses me off is nobody wants to talk about the silly idea of making a firing Vash gun and are fixated on the historical merits of break-open revolvers. Sucked the fun right out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems to me that if you have the cash lying around to make a custom gun, you might as well go all-out and have the frame milled from titanium (or some other very strong metal, as Ti might make the gun too light to properly absorb recoil, I dunno, I'm a writer and not a materials engineer).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not an engineer, but possibly just make striking surface of the hammer lower on the hammer, and compensate the diminished leverage for hammer weight and spring weight, and maybe make the Hammer Fall REALLY long for added velocity. (Never got into Trigun, I assume the gun is SAO)

    Or maybe a Z-shaped firing pin...if there's enough room to work with in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol say it with me. "This is my dream and everyone who doesnt like it can kiss my a$$." Just like i tell people about the mossberg 464 zombie lever action tactical rifle that is my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever seen a Chiappa Rhino?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiappa_Rhino

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have, and that's what started this merry mess a floating.

    When I saw the Chiappa I thought, "Hey, that's got the barrel under the axis like the Trigun gun!"

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.