13 August 2014

Practical

Willard hands me a bag...  It's heavy.

"That's your spare ammo!" he says.

The thing that gets lost in the encumbrance rules is little lessons like that.

300 rounds of 7.62x51 and 100 rounds of 9mm are heavy.  19.4 lb.  All by itself, it's not so bad.  In addition to everything else...  It's not a straw, but it could be hazardous to the spines of camels.

Picking his memories about it; going to change the gear to...

On the web gear.
FAL with loaded mag.
4 spare mags. (down from 6)
HP with loaded mag.
1 spare mag.
2 Mk II fragmentation grenades (replacing 4 M67)

In the pack.
Spare loaded FAL mag.
50 round non-disintegrating 7.62x51mm belt.
Zip-Lock bag with 26 loose 9mm rounds.

Ditching the Energa's too.

Part of the problem was designing the character for a particular scenario and ignoring historical load outs.

2 comments:

  1. Building a vague approximation of your gear kit in paintball gear is a fantastic way to function test it. I do a lot of big scenario games, played across hundreds of acres for days at a time (rather than short 2-3 minute close range gun battles). I never liked carry handles, until I had to tow a very unwieldy gun with no good handles about for miles at a time. Even weighing at LEAST double, the new gun (which feeds off of a nice helical mag now) has a carry handle, and is infinitely easier to carry, even moreso since I bought a sling for it. It also drives home the need to have your gear all fit right, because ounces feel like pounds when they bounce and fight your every move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could lug around my actual FAL and this load to see how it works at the local 3-gun if I wanted. Of course I have legs, the snake-chimera doesn't he slithers around. He's also stronger than I am, younger than I am, and never jumped off a tank and shattered his legs then had them set by the best the Army could provide then physical therapy by the VA.

    But for a healthy person, that's a pretty good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.