30 October 2006

Car Guy Oddities

We in the Hot Rod community tend to be a conservative bunch. Face it, we fear change enough to keep driving, in some cases, seventy year old cars. To these guys I have a NEW car, mine is 16 years old.

Another bit of strangeness that comes up from time to time is the "Buy American" meme, also known as, "I ain't gonna buy no damn furrin cars!" I guess "American" can mean North America, because there are a lot of "domestic" cars made in Mexico and Canada. I love the guy proudly thumping his chest about how he supports the American worker by buying a Chevy Camaro. The Camaro was made in Canada for its last ten years, and in 2008 will be made there again. I read a letter to a magazine about how another guy would never buy an import and was going to be buying a new Pontiac GTO.

The Pontiac GTO is made in Australia.

It drives me insane that these guys can't do even a bit of basic research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.