12 March 2011

Still not me.

I'd say I was sick of pointing it out, but I'm getting numb.

Florida has a bill working through committee that would allow conceal carry permit holders to open carry; making our permits just carry permits.  There was also language to allow a permit holder to carry on a college campus.

The committee decided that it made too much sense so added all sorts of restrictions on HOW one could open carry and (by the way) no carry on campuses.

We raised hell about it and they deigned to remove the silly restrictions on how we could open carry.  Left the campus gun ban intact.  It's the rationale of leaving that ban that has me irritated.

To quote Robb: "On February 22, 2011, the father of Ashley Cowie, the FSU student who was killed in an off-campus incident, presented an impassioned plea against the campus carry element of SB 234. Ashley was killed by a student who was too young to get a concealed weapons/firearms license (CWFL), allegedly was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, negligently mishandled a rifle too large to carry concealed for self-defense purposes, at an off-campus frat house at which weapons were prohibited."
Cowie has also stated that, "I think what happened was a perfect example of why guns shouldn’t be on campus.  Partying late at night, with alcohol and drugs: It’s not an environment where guns should be present."


First off, that's not me.  I am not partying late at night with my gun, alcohol and drugs.  I don't do drugs and I don't drink armed while partying.  Being a responsible gun owner and driver, I stop drinking long before the legal limits unless I plan on getting plowed; then there are no guns or car keys for me.  But I am in my 40's too.  Lots of hard lessons learned.


Second; at what point did having a permit to carry on campus apply to Ms Cowie's death?  Was she killed by a permit holder?  No.  Was she killed by a concealed firearm?  No.  Was the shooter old enough to get a permit?  No.  Since he was too young to get a permit he was also too young to be legally drinking.  Doing drugs is likewise illegal.


Again, I ask, what does that have to do with ME?  What I want to do is carry on campus (more importantly I want my wife to be able to).  I have a permit, I don't drink while out and about and I don't do drugs.


Oh yeah, GUNS WERE BANNED AT THE LOCATION WHERE YOUR DAUGHTER GOT SHOT ALREADY!  Fat lot of good banning them did, huh?  That's the real problem here Mr Cowie.  The person who shot your daughter was breaking how many laws?


Once again they want to restrict me because of the behavior of others.


My wife works in college administration.  She has received death threats from students and parents who are upset about any manner of thing their darling child has been denied.  Going to work with those threats and knowing you are in a gun-free victim zone where only the law abiding are disarmed sure is fun.


Tell you what, Mr Cowie, if something happens to my wife; I am suing your balls off.  It is surely you the press is crediting for getting campus carry eliminated from this bill.  That makes you responsible for it.  Unlike you, I intend to blame the person who did something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.