27 April 2012

This Is My Dream And Anyone Who Doesn't Like It Can Kiss My Ass!

There is a trend among some gun folk to demand functionality from any firearm in question.

They look at guns like the Taurus Judge with open disgust.  The Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever action gives them the screaming meemies.

To an extent, I agree.  Your FIRST guns should be brutally and uncompromisingly functional.  When it's your only gun, it had better work and work well.

This extends to the first gun for every role you need.  In my case I need a functional handgun for summer and winter when how I can dress to hide it changes.  That's two handguns.  What about my third?

This extends to SHTF rifles and shotguns.

Once you have the needs taken care of, now you can indulge the wants.

You can get a .410/.45 Colt revolver with a 2" barrel.  You can get fifteen .25ACP pocket pistols.  You can get a Buntline clone.

You can talk about guns based on film and cartoon characters.

Not every single gun you own has to have a function or even work well.  They can be dreck if they amuse you.  Just don't depend on your dreck if your life is at stake!

Rule one should be, buy the best gun you can afford.  Rule two would be upgrade that gun as your income increases.  Rule three is buy as many guns as you can afford.

This is why I have an AR with an 11.5" barrel with a 4.5" long flash-hider on it.  It's not any shorter than a 16" gun, it's not any lighter, it loses velocity and accuracy because of the shorter barrel.  It.  Is.  A.  Toy.

This is why I have a Garand.  While eminently functional in its own way, the magazine capacity and mass are impediments.  Still.  A.  Toy.

The 6.8 with Magpul furniture, Aimpoint, light and rails?  Tool.

My 1911 I carry while it's cool enough?  Tool.

The 642 for too hot?  Tool.

The Colt 1908 Hammerless?  Toy that could fill the tool role if not supplanted.

That's not comprehensive.

So when I talk about wanting a Vash the Stampede break-open I am not speaking as someone who thinks such a gun is a good idea.  I am indulging my whimsical nature and expressing that something like that would delight and amuse me.  It should amuse you too!

It's not like we're humorless teutonic gnomes here.

PS:  I want a S&W Governor.  I want a Mossberg 464 SPX (assuming it's comfortable).  I want a .38 Super 1911.  I love toys!

PPS: Yes, the title of the post is a lot more confrontational than the content.  That's deliberate.

6 comments:

  1. hey. *I* want a .38 super 1911!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1/2 the reason I'm getting that mossberg 464 zombie lever action rifle is because almost noone else will have one. The other 1/2 is because my wife said i couldnt have one. I first got into buying sig pistols because everyone has glocks, m&p's, or Springfields. I stayed with sig because i love the way they shoot. Its my money so all the people who dont like it can piss off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are two things that will dissuade me from getting a 464. First, if the gun doesn't fit, that stock looks awkward. Second if it doesn't shoot well. I'm not going to buy a POS for looks especially when there's used Winchesters out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The .410/.45 Colt revolver thing has fascinated me since I first fired an American Derringer Company over-under chambered that way. So far two companies have made a POS version (Thunder 5 and Judge), that's why I am going with the S&W. Isn't odd I want the FINEST bad idea?

      Delete
  4. Yep, Kahr PM45 pocket gun Tool, S&W642 pocket gun, Tool, Jennings J22 Curio, Beretta 21A yeah maybe I can find some job to service it in...nah its just a curio.

    Etc.

    Once you fill the various needs you have with firearms with a rock-solid functional primary, and preferably a backup, the rest can all be gravy, or rock solid tools, your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just because" is a perfectly legitimate reason to "need" another gun. :D

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.