DISCLAIMER

No good can come of reading the contents of this blog.

Viewing or use of this blog or any contents or links contained herein by any person or entity within the confines of the states of Arizona and/or Tennessee is prohibited .

Violators of this policy agree to hold the owner of this blog, its contents and all links contained herein, harmless to any harm or offense taken or perceived.

Permission to use any content on this site is explicitly denied to Robert Farago, his family, his friends, his associates, his pets, and his employees and/or employer and/or their employees either in part or whole.

20 January 2013

Sunday Gunday

It's a 1957 Ruger Standard, also known as the Mark I.


The stocks are genuine plastic, Franzite brand.  I'd never heard of the brand, but they fit well and feel good.  With a spare magazine that came in that original box.

Check the price on the box!


I get the impression that the previous owner was the original owner and he bought the magazine with the gun.  Brand new in 1957 a Ruger Standard was $37.50.  Wow.

It's a fine shooter and was utterly clogged with gunk and still functioned.  Cleaned up now!

A .22 pistol is on my list of "guns everyone should own one of".  I made that list decades ago when I first started shooting and I only just now got around to buying one.

Other items on that list.

Pump shotgun.
Scoped bolt action centerfire rifle.
Rimfire rifle.
Semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine in a military caliber.
Service sized pistol.

That's the minimum.  I note that I still don't have a scoped bolt-gun.  I keep getting distracted.

3 comments:

  1. Nice Gun.

    The Rugers have nicer triggers, but i still enjoy the Buckmark.

    Often times the only items I take to shoot are a pair of .22 pistols, several steel plates and a brick of ammo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eyeing .22 pistols for several years now and despairing at the prices.

    I was oscillating between a 22/45 or a Buckmark and favoring the Buckmark with the 1/2-28 threaded muzzle when I stumbled across this one.

    $200 plus taxes and fees on consignment. I figured, since Florida is God's waiting room, that it was found in someone's dad's dresser drawer and the out-of-state children put it up for sale just to avoid the headache.

    With a 15% consignment fee, it's sad to think the owner let it go for $170.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, treat it well; the original owner would appreciate that.

    I have a threaded 22/45 and a stainless Buck. Like I said, Ruger has a better trigger, but my Buck has some really fine factory grips. Feels excellent in my hands.

    You can shoot all day and spend $20, so it will pay for itself quickly. Plus I really like the option of using steel plates. I'm iffy about pistol shooting with centerfire on steel. .22 doesn't scare me though. When I have been close (10 yards) shooting rapid fire, I've occasionally had a tiny sliver of lead land on my arm, but nothing at greater distances.

    ReplyDelete

Try to remember you are a guest here when you comment. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention.