30 June 2009

The Dangers Of Building Your Own AR

The principle danger is the slow accumulation of perfectly serviceable parts that do not fit the narrative of the build at hand. A related danger is having buy assemblies to get parts.

Eventually, these parts start to resemble complete rifles.

We are near such a moment.

The M4 profile barrel for Kaylee is inbound, I will have the old barrel as surplus. I accumulated an M16 upper receiver while getting period correct parts for my XM177E2 build. I have spare handguards, I have spare flash-hiders. All I need to complete an upper is a bolt carrier group and a charging handle. That would be about $145 plus $11.95 shipping and handling.

The lower is even more complete. I had to buy a couple stock assemblies to get all the period parts I needed for the XM and I bought a spare lower parts kit just to have one since the springs and pins get lost during assembly all the time. All I need for a complete lower is the actual lower receiver. $140.

This project would be a mutt, a true Frankenstein AR Carbine. We'll call her Brunhilda if we finish her, or perhaps just "The Bride".

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.