01 December 2010

Wow, that sure did hurt.

Jay G mentioned bad gun ideas.

A friend of mine has an American Derringer Company, um, Derringer.  It's chambered in .410/.45 Colt.

I have always liked the looks of the old Remington .41 Over-Under and this looked just like one, except in stainless steel.  Of course I wanted to shoot it!

So he provided us some ammo and we got together to shoot.

Everyone fired two shots of .45 Colt.  That wasn't really too bad, it stung but it was easily bearable.

Some of us fired two more; .410 00 buck-shot this time.  It had more kick than the .45 Colt and the sting had turned to actual hurt, but not to a "I'm injuring myself here" level.

The owner and I fired two more .45 Colt.  My right thumb clearly expressed its displeasure about this and in no uncertain terms requested that I not do it anymore.  This is where the owner quit for the day, smart man.

I loaded up two more .45 Colt rounds and fired.  The first one was pretty much like the last two, "Ha! Take that thumb!"  The eighth round, however, was much worse as my thumb took its revenge by dislocating at the first joint outside the web of the hand.

I no longer want a clone of a Remington Over-Under Derringer.  Thag not dumb as look!  Thag can learn!

So, remember kids, just say no to bad gun ideas.

I have since fired a vintage Remington Over-Under in the original .41 rimfires using black-powder.  Much less devastating to the opposing digit.  Of course, I stopped at four shots this time.

1 comment:

  1. The "Snake-Slayer," with its longer grip, might be more comfortable to shoot.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.