06 August 2014

Apex Spring Kit For S&W Sigma

Because Willard is such a nice guy, I bought him an APEX Sigma Spring Kit.  I got a second kit as well since both The Lovely Harvey and FuzzyGeff have Sigmas as well.  Harvey refused the kit, citing her old SW357V as a "rare collectable" and would keep it original.  She even said it with a straight face.

I offered it to FuzzyGeff and he accepted.  There is geographic strangeness with his guns being here.  His mom forbids him to keep guns in their home and when I moved to Florida; his guns, which had been stored at my house, moved with me.




That video does make it look easier than it is!  Well, it is super simple, but getting the trigger pin past the slide locking bar is very fiddly; both for removal and installation.  It's all by wobble and hope it works rather than a "pull this way every time".  I am not sure the slave pin provided is much help since it's undersized for the hole and lets you move things around a lot.  I think I'll use a normal 1/8" pin punch for the slave if I ever have to do this again.

Once installed, Geff's atrocious trigger was very much lighter.  It started at 8 lb. 6 oz. and has been reduced to 7 lb. 8 oz.  It's gone from dragging a safe over gravel to merely being slightly gritty with a sharp break.  Reset is less vague as well.

Willard's trigger is also improved, but sadly not by as much.  I didn't take a before measure of the trigger pull, but it's definitely lighter at 9 lb. 2 oz. (I KNOW!) and smoother.  The break is still mushy, better, but mushy.  Reset is also still "just let completely go of the trigger to be sure".  There's a very slight click almost at the very end of forward travel.

The differences might be because Geff's is a SW40F and Willard's is a SW40VE.  I've read the VE trigger was deliberately tuned to simulate a J-Frame for some reason after complaints about the F and V series had been considered by S&W.  Hearsay.

Overall, I am still pleased with Apex Tactical.  They greatly improved Marv's M&P9, my J-Frame and now two Sigmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.