20 October 2014

Scoping Things


Olga with the Nichols Bullet 3-9x40mm that used to reside on FuzzyGeff's Weatherby Vanguard.


Weatherby Vanguard VGS in .243 Win. wearing a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44mm scope.

I think the departed Bushnell Sportsman 4-12x40mm was better glass than the Nichols, but not as good as the Vortex.

The view through the scope:

It's beyond me to get the background and the reticle in focus at the same time.  That's the Dead-Hold® BDC reticle, by the way.

Multi-coated, like every scope...

The coatings matter, "multi-coated" means something.  What's lacking in information about most scopes is what the coatings are doing for you.

Resettable turrets!

In this instance you get it zeroed, then unscrew the center screw, take off the knob and place it back down with the 0 lined up with the line.  Kind of (sorta) like a Garand rear sight, actually.

I'd originally planned on getting a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm to replace the scope I broke.  Then I got to handle one.  Not near as nice as the Sportsman.

2 comments:

  1. Not to get into a pissing match, just providing info.

    The turrets on the Nikon scopes I have will just lift up and rotate to line up the 0, without having to remove a screw. This is arguable better and worse. Easier to move the 0 point when setting the zero, but also easier for someone else to set it to a non-zero spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind of disappointed at how these reset, I was expecting the Nikon style. Still, it was an unexpected feature and I think a rather neat one, regardless of how they reset.

    I am curious as to why this would cause a pissing contest. Is this another 1911 v Glock sort of religious items in the world of guns? I'm not a scoped bolt-gun guy so I'd never notice the divide unless someone pointed it out to me.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.