24 October 2014

Rekindled

For a long time I've wanted to own a Luger.  Tam's recent posts have rekindled the urge.

Never mind that the couple of times I've actually shot a Luger were pretty disappointing.

The first was a stainless Stoeger in 9mm that flat refused to run on any brand of ammo that Jacobson's sold.

The second was a super pristine 9mm that liked "124 gr NATO" loads for reliability but would hit 5" high and right with it.  115gr Winchester White Box hit dead center but would choke every other round or so.  The "NATO" ammo was also very, um, stout on the recoil side of things making the owner wonder how long it would remain pristine if he kept shooting it.  He was not mollified at all by my saying that it wasn't going to remain pristine if he kept shooting anything at all.

To me the grip angle seems perfect, until you actually go and shoot, then it's just all wrong in how it feels during recoil and putting the sights back on target.  Since a Ruger Standard doesn't bug me, I think it's just how it's directing the impulse with the toggle that's making the wrongness.  Perhaps if I had one that ran that we were willing to shoot a lot I'd get used to it.

There's the rub.

Lugers are freaking expensive!

The cheapest one I saw at the gun show where I bought FuzzyGeff's scope was still over a grand.  I noted the prices because I keep needling Marv that everyone should own a Luger at least once in their life, so I pointed out EVERY Luger for sale to him.

Thanks to the Hi Power and G17 I stock 9mm now, so a Luger wouldn't add to the accounting problem.  Assuming that it likes the ammo I stock...

I have to admit that the original 7.65x21mm has more appeal; but one must be pragmatic when dabbling at the bottom rungs of such a competitive collector's market.

I think I will continue to watch Luger from the sidelines.  Off the top of my head there's at least ten things I'd rather spend $1,000 on and nine of them aren't guns.

4 comments:

  1. The most common and affordable Lugers are DWM 1920 Commercials. I paid $599 and, relative to what I probably could have gotten it for at auction, I overpaid. Relative to street price in local shops and shows, it was a screaming deal.

    Some WWII-vintage military ones gor for nearly as cheap, as long as you don't mind a shooter-grade gun. Just spam auctions with lowball bids until you get lucky. It's how I plan to score my next one... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think there's location affecting it too. Everything seems more expensive down here.

      It's C&R and I have that kind of FFL, I could meander up to a large midwest show and see if there's "arbitrage" to be had.

      Delete
  2. If you ever come up around Indy 1500 time, I'll throw together a blogmeet and give you the museum tour.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.