20 June 2008

Clarification

I am sometimes caught trying to explain WHY I am so opposed to some of the "reasonable restrictions" on firearms ownership.

It all comes down to, "It must be impossible for the Government to confiscate all of the guns, and to know with any certainty that they have done so."

A registration list of guns can be used to confiscate them. Such lists have, in fact, been used for just such purposes in New Jersey and California. Without such lists the government does not KNOWthat I have a particular firearm. They may suspect, but they will not know. Nor will I have to explain where said gun has gone if they cannot find it during a search to confiscate it.

There are several back-doors into defacto registration.

There's an LBJ quote that sums up gun laws nicely: "You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered." I would add, let the opposition define "improperly administered" because their imagination will be bigger than yours about what can go wrong. LBJ didn't, and he signed GCA68.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.