11 June 2008

Well Wasn't That Just Odd

Today the MacBook Pro was HOT, the fan was running full tilt. The charger's transformer was likewise very HOT.

The machine was losing power when it went into idle mode. Two hours of idle depleted 20% of the battery when it was plugged in, but idle.

Indicated battery life had dropped from around three hours of normal use to more like one and a half hours.

Worried that I had killed the battery or perhaps the charger, I ran to the local Apple Store. There I discovered that Boinc was running full tilt, twice. It's only supposed to run when the screen saver is active. Forcing the apps to quit and removing them from the start on boot list has returned normal operation of the machine, without Boinc.

I feel kinda stupid because I used the same utility that the Mac Genius used to check on CPU usage. Only I read the graph wrong because the fully loaded graph on OSX 10.5 looks just like the nothing running graph on my Ubuntu machine. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.