03 September 2008

More Research

I discovered something last night on the Garand that was a little disappointing. Marked on the receiver is "RRAD 11/64" with an electric pencil. That means that in November of 1964 my gun was rebuilt a the Red River Army Depot. Since all of the parts are Springfield marked and have numbers that are correct for the November '44 manufacture date, it could just be that my gun was refinished as the M14 entered service and the Garands were put into storage.

The stock is marked with "RRA" meaning it came from a gun rebuilt in the Red River Arsenal.

I am pretty sure that RRAD and RRA are the same place.

I mentioned before that the Springfield stamp on the stock was for a gun made between August 1943 and October 1944. CMP guns are commonly restocked before distribution, so no biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.