24 January 2009

Gun Geekery

When that Form 1 gets back, I will have an extremely faithful clone of an XM177E2.

Wiki says that it should weigh 5.35 lbs empty and be 32.5" with the stock extended and 29.8" with the stock retracted. By my calculations I think I will actually be 6.125 5.6 lbs empty; 33.097" extended and 29.847" retracted because the vintage stock has 3.25" of travel, not 2.7". We shall see!

My first AR, Kaylee, I was an attempt to make something similar from easily available Title 1 parts, I even called it an XM177E3. Kaylee weighs 6.9 lbs empty and is 35.375" with the stock extended, 32.125" retracted.

Even with the moderator on the end the difference between 16" and 11.5" barrels makes itself felt. The E2 will only be an inch longer extended than the E3 is retracted!

Pic of the parts in their relative positions.



The miracle of Photoshop! Thanks Marv!



I would also like to point out that the 3rd gen stock on a mil-spec tube changed the lengths on the E3. Previously it was 36.5" extended and 32.75" retracted. The older style stock is also about 2 ounces lighter.

Dottie is 36" extended, 32.75" retracted and 6.8 lbs unloaded without optics and 7.5 lbs with optics.

In case you are curious about the loaded weights, the XM177E2 and XM177E3 are in 5.56x45mm and 30 round mags are 1 lb, 20 round are 0.7 lbs. The 25 round 6.8 magazines are 1.3 lbs and the 30 rounders are 1.7 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.