30 August 2012

Things In Common

I am not, in general, a revolver person.  I have lots of reasons for liking semi-autos over wheel guns, but I admit to a fascination with them.

What we have pictured is a Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt and a Smith and Wession 640-3 in .357 Magnum.


They've got some features in common.  Both are stainless and both wear grips from Hogue.

Except for being revolvers that's about where the commonality ends.  Much more could be said about how they differ.  Barrel length, caliber, capacity, cylinder latch, cylinder rotation, hammer, manufacturer, sights and stock color are all different.

Heck, even the reason I bought them is completely different.

The S&W was purchased because I'd rather liked an acquaintance's 642, as did The Lovely Harvey (who bought a 640 as well).  I reasoned that I liked the hammerless J-frame, but didn't care for the alloy frame and the .38 Special +P chambering.  The 640 is heavier, .357 magnum, and doesn't have dedicated hate groups on forums complaining about the finish eroding off the aluminum; because there is no aluminum!  I prefer robust over lightness.  I carry the little J-frame often and have a good many rounds through it.  It's not a Snubby-From-Hell, but it's got a stout recoil.

The Colt was purchased to replace a gun that was sold to pay bills.  The original gun was a 4" in .45 Colt.  That gun was purchased because our gamemaster proposed making ourselves as characters in GURPS and we'd be dropped into "a world" with whatever we'd managed to cart up to his apartment in one load.  He'd also been dropping hints about the old west so I figured I should get a gun that I would be able to feed from 1873 on.  At the time I didn't know you could load .44 Russian (1870) into a .44 Magnum.  At any rate selling my 45 Anaconda was always a deep regret sell and buying a .44 Magnum 4" didn't scratch the itch.  I was unable to find another 4" .45 so I settled for a 6".  I also rationalized that it's a superior gun to most anything from the time period.  Stainless is more durable than bluing or plating.  Double action is nice to have and it's safe to carry with all six holes filled.  The sights also tromp all over the little notch in the hammer of an SAA.  The single action trigger on this example is nearly telepathic in its break.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a semi-auto dude to the core. But I'm also a gun-nut, and I appreciate how easily a wheel gun can fire a POWERFUL cartridge.

    My PM45 can be compared to to a 340PS or a 342, 642, or your 640 all with their own merits, and disadvantages. But my J-frame sized .45 +P is a bit of a mechanical marvel, but the tiny .357s and .38s are old technology.

    And just look at the magnum caliber semi-autos like Automags and Desert Eagles...or even various 10mm guns.

    When tossing bear-killers down range, nothing does it better than a wheelie.

    Also LOVE that .45 Anaconda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My .44 Colt Navy will put all it's bullets into a pie sized target @25 yards all day long.

    The 9mm Beretta and .38 Mustang revolver....good luck trying.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.