26 September 2005

BRAKES!

Being the hands-on, self sufficient, do-it-myselfer that I am. I performed a complete replace and repair front brake job on my car this weekend.

I used exceptional quality parts manufactured by Stainless Steel Brake Corp and Russell Industries. I even painted the calipers blue to better match the new paint on the car!

Everything went on smoothly and it looked GREAT.

Until we started bleeding the air out of the brake lines. Marv presses pedal, I open bleed screw, fluid and bubbles run into the catch basin, I close bleed screw, Marv releases pedal, Repeat. For an HOUR. And the pedal still feels spongy, like there is air in the system. Now we have used an entire 32 oz jug of brake fluid. Off to Wal Mart, buy two more jugs. Marv presses pedal, I open bleed screw, fluid and bubbles run into the catch basin, I close bleed screw, Marv releases pedal, Repeat. Pedal still feels bad. Fuck it, take a test drive. Pedal feels like always. A little spongy, but OK and the car stops fine.

That was yesterday.

Today the pedal is very firm and it takes about half the pressure for the same stop as it used. I am very satisfied. All we can think of is that some micro bubbles finally found their way up to the reservoir and stopped being a problem.

We hee!

PS: I had a whopping 0.0937" of pad material on the right, outside pad. And evidence of that pad being stuck. Another week and I would have needed new calipers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.