02 June 2006

The Dragon Is Slain

At least the laptop works...

I am in the process of reformatting the new hard drive because, while it worked by itself, it would not boot when the old IDE drives were connected.

I am thinking that it is a configuration binding issue and that reinstalling XP will fix things if I format and install with the old drives present.

If this doesn't fix things, I will be forced to take the old drives to someone with a DVD burner and copy my data over the old fashioned way.

Update:

For the record, XP Home sucks.

When you install the OS, every drive you intend to run had better be hooked up or it brain farts. At least if there are boot sectors on any of those drives. It can account for them if they are present when you partition and install, but not later.

It was trying to assign drive letter G: to my boot hard drive. XP can't do that.

I also messed up repartitioning and reinstalling the OS. I grabbed the XP Pro disks for the laptop. I got all the way to "Enter the CD Key" before I caught my error.

I am a bit surprised by what I am NOT installing. Most of Office is not installed now. Open Office 2.0 is my preferred suite. Only Outlook 2000 is on now.

iTunes had a hiccough when I moved the music files from the old C drive to the current C.

IL-2 4.05m moved painlessly from the old drive to the new without needing a reinstall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.