18 August 2006

Oh I Almost Forgot

The miserable piece of shit that GM calls the M30 4L60E transmission bit the big one in the wee hours Sunday morning.

Gods fucking damn it all!

This is the fourth time for those of you scoring at home.

This leaves me with a number of choices:

A. Another rebuild.
Pro: Relatively cheap and has a one year, 12,000 mile warranty.
Con: $1000 a year is getting old doing option A.
B. Junkyard tranny.
Pro: Cheapest option, about $600.
Con: Crap-shoot on the thing living and only a 30 day warranty.
C. Remanufactured GM Certified Replacement.
Pro: Three year, 36k mile warranty.
Con: $1,350 plus a $350 core deposit. If the dead tranny is too messed up, I don't get the deposit back.
D. GM Performance Parts 4L65E.
Pro: Much tougher version of the 4L60E. Three year, 36k mile warranty.
Con: Not a direct replacement, some mods required. $2,290.
E. Convert to a manual transmission.
Pro: Strongest option. Very cool. Better mileage. What I plan on doing eventually anyway.
Con: VERY Expensive, $3,900 in just parts alone, more in tools and fabrication prolly $5,000 all said and done.
F. Third Part Remanufactured Unit.
Pro: Relatively affordable, $750 plus $350 core deposit.
Con: One year, 12,000 mile warranty. Too many remanufacturers are the bee's knees today and scum tomorrow. If the dead tranny is too messed up, I don't get the deposit back.
G. Hope that the rotating parts are OK and it's just the valve body and replace it.
Pro: Even cheaper than the junkyard tranny.
Con: Can't buy a new valve body, so would have to get one from a junkyard. Crap-shoot on the thing living and only a 30 day warranty.

And a MAJOR fuck you to Grady, whose incompetence with creating a shift kit has caused all the problems.

The really sad part of this is the engine is a bone stock '96 LT1 running a '95 PCM. The only things not stock on the motor are the intake and ignition coil. Those changes should not have created tranny killing power (and in fact they do not). I went way out of my way to get a reliable package when I set the car up, and I have been awarded constant pain from the gods be damned tranny.

Option C is in the lead. Not least of which, when I can afford option E, this tranny bolts right into Harvey's car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.