21 October 2010

Altercation at the Oldsmar Wal Mart

Last night I was confronted by several teens in a mini-van concerning my driving.

Seems that I came too close to the rear of their vehicle when they slammed on the brakes and suddenly swerved into the left turn lane.

Finger gestures were exchanged and I sped away.

They got back on the road and followed me to Wal Mart.

EDIT


They didn't tail-gate me to the store.  They were far enough behind me that I had time to check my shopping list, get out of the car and close the door.  I had taken about two steps from closing the door when they pulled up behind my car, blocking it in.

END EDIT

Driver: "What's your problem!"
Me: "huh?"
(repeat six or seven times).
Driver: "Why'd you flip me off?"
Me: pointing at his front passenger, "She flipped me off."
Driver: "What are you going to do about it, huh?"
Me: "Wait for you to leave."
Driver: "What if I don't?"
Me: "Call the cops."
Driver: "What are they going to do, tough guy?"
Me: grabbing phone, "Let's find out."

They leave.  I waited near my car for a few minutes just to make sure they didn't come back to vandalize it.

All the time I am praying, over and over that none of them got out of the van.

I am sure I didn't want to shoot them and I am reasonably sure none of them wanted shot.

Unfortunately, the decision was in their hands.  Fortunately, they chose not to create a situation where I would have had to shoot.

I never threatened to shoot them.  I did not draw.  I did not warn them I was armed.

I was really more perplexed by their behavior than scared.

So if you see teens driving a dark green mini van with [something] #1 written on the back glass in or around Oldsmar, Florida, they're idiots, give them a wide berth.

5 comments:

  1. I'm putting a gold star on your chart for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you don't count that as a defensive gun use, right?

    And probably rightly so, but it should be counted as an prevented crime - wonder if there are any stats for that.

    Good awareness and action plan, even better that you didn't have to go to the last option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am counting it as a successful use of good judgement on my part; and an illustration that such confrontations do not automatically escalate to gun-play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't have left the car, bro. Shouldn't have talked to them, just should have driven away to the nearest police station. If they tried something on the road, and you couldn't escape by driving away, then you may have had the right to use self-defense. But confronting them in a parking lot, with video security running, chances are you would be charged with something like Escalating the Situation, or Not using Proper Judgement to Flee, or some other crap the D.A. would put in front of the Judge. Castle Doctrine would not apply, because you CHOSE to stand there and get into it with them Verbally. If you could talk to them for several minutes, then you must have not been if fear for your life, and thus, no justification to shoot them. And if I was a D.A. looking to get elected in the Mid-Terms, and I wanted the Democratic Vote, you'd be on the TV so fast and charged with everything he could throw at you.
    Paraphrasing something Mas Ayoob taught: " The second you carry a gun, all words, gestures, threats and posturing by another human being towards you become random noise and sights. You only get to shoot someone when there is an imminent PHYSICAL threat made to you or someone you are protecting". You got lucky, Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les, see the edit.

    If they'd been tailgating, I would have been right on the cell phone the the cops.

    Florida no longer has "proper judgement to flee". That was specifically addressed in our stand your ground law. I was in a place I had a right to be; I was under no legal obligation to flee. Ohio is likely a whole different matter, with their own laws and own congress and everything.

    [sarcasm]Thanks for telling me there was no immediate physical threat. I would never had figured that out on my own. Since I couldn't figure it out, that's why I shot them all![/sarcasm]

    Carrying a gun does not grant magical powers. I doesn't stop us from being human and subject to being affected by the "words, gestures, threats and posturing by another human" directed at us.

    You may notice that Anglave gave me a gold star on my chart. He knows me personally and from Before™. What I have learned since then is how to handle my temper; or did you miss the, "I never threatened to shoot them. I did not draw. I did not warn them I was armed." I made no threats, I did not even yell.

    I am certain you would have handled this situation without any errors or mistakes. I'm just human, so I make mistakes. I owned up to them by posting too.

    Perhaps you could make your point with a less pious tone next time?

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.