17 November 2010

Of .45 ACP and Luger

I was forwarded this article about the sole surviving .45 Luger left over from the competition that led to the M-1911.

It got the juices flowing.

I understand why guns like Lugers, Broom Handle Mausers, and Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless' are no longer made.  Labor costs.  They are very complex and require expert machinists to make them.  Not to mention intricate small parts that need a true expert's hand getting things like heat-treating correct.

Most modern guns have have "rationalized" designs, meaning they are designed with the tooling to be used in mind.  This makes them much cheaper to manufacture than the turn of the century designs.  Not to mention the old designs are nearly 100% tool steel.  Relatively expensive and something of a pain to work.

Because of the expenses, it's hard to see new-made versions of these guns being profitable.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try.  A goodly hunk of the machinist's skill can be taken up with an appropriate (and God-Aweful Expensive) multi-tool/multi-axis CNC milling machine.  A very expensive item all by itself.

I'd like to see a Luger M-1911.  I'd like to see new Broomhandles in .45.  I'd love to see a locking breech version of the M1908 hammerless in 9x19mm (and an upscaled .45 in this elegant shape).

Hell, we could even make clones of the originals too, but some designs will not be good sellers since the market is still absorbing the original production runs from 60 years ago.

3 comments:

  1. I started something, didn't I? Me, I want a cartridge-firing LeMat revolver. Nine rounds of pistol, with .20-gauge shotgun action in the middle---that's entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gate load, top break or swing out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure---I'll forward you some of the pictures I found.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.