09 February 2011

FAL vs AR

This is not really comparing the guns.

Both have strong communities.  Both have opinionated owners.

What I have noticed about the FAL community is a distinct lack of snobbery about what brand is best.  There's sympathy for those who bought garbage; but then they go on to attempt to help the hapless buyer salvage what they can that's good and identify the parts that are no good.

In the AR world, "buy a Colt* and call it good"

There are no recurring debates about the reasons for and utility of "M4" feedramps in the FAL world.  There is a feedramp issue, but it's not a debate.

There is no doubt that 7.62x51mm as issued was enough.

Owning a "FrankenFAL" is not a mark of shame.

If a gun isn't running, the community quickly figures out why and offers solutions that almost always work.


* Or some other "Tier 1" brand.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I should have tried asking for help online. Of course, not living where I can easily go out shooting (nearest range 17 miles away and infested with people who look at me like I pooped in their cereal if I break out a "black rifle") doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve noticed that to on some gun forums I visit. FAL owners (in general) seem much more easy going and tolerant while AR-15 owners (more often) seem more militant with their views. Many have got “their” brand (Colt isn’t the only one) and everything else is garbage, and God help you if your rifle is a mixed “parts gun!”

    ReplyDelete
  3. One problem I've had in the AR world is my interests are not typically modern. To get a semi-auto AR in any of several retro configurations you have to build your own and it will be a parts gun.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.