19 February 2011

High Speed Rail in Florida

Senator Bill Nelson sent me this message via his newsletter email:

A bipartisan group of the state's political and business leaders have pursued high-speed rail in Florida for decades, because it means more than $2.4 billion in economic aid, thousands of construction jobs and a modern transportation link between several of the state’s largest cities. That’s why I support it. I’m joined by state lawmakers and many members of Florida's congressional delegation, who also question the governor’s decision to kill high-speed rail. One is U.S. Rep. John Mica, the Winter Park Republican who chairs the House Transportation Committee. Also, federal transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, a Republican, has expressed disappointment. If Florida doesn’t take the money, another state will. So, some of us will look for ways to save the rail project. Meantime, please don’t hesitate to pass along your thoughts

I replied with this:


There are numerous bad ideas that have been pursued by their advocates for decades; the length of time one spends pursuing an idea does not change its merit.
If high speed rail could be made to run at a profit then it stands to reason that there should be at least one example built that's doing so.  But there isn't a single one running without a subsidy; is there?
The advocates of high speed rail are essentially saying, "I want this; you pay for it!"  If they get their way I will be put into a situation where I don't want this, and I will have to pay for it.
Which isn't entirely true; I am a romantic about trains.  I would love for a high speed passenger service to be a viable alternative to driving.  Sadly, it is not and will not be; which is why I do not want to subsidize it or have the government owning it.
If a private concern builds it; I will be one of the first in line to buy a ticket to support them and my romantic notions, which is my choice.  I deeply resent the idea of being forced to pay for something that will never recoup it's initial capitalization costs through ticket sales.

1 comment:

  1. The thing is, passenger rail doesn't turn a profit anywhere in the US outside of a very few high-traffic corridors (the Bos-Wash is the one I'm most familiar with). Unfortunately, our cognitive elite won't just let it go---nostalgia for an earlier time, a wish to ape the Europeans, a rooted dislike for private automobiles...I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.