18 April 2011

Charlotte is Completed

Charlotte is now finished!  HUZZAH!

Gone is the anachronistic parkerized bolt carrier with forward assist serrations; installed is the vintage hard-chromed slick-side.

Charlotte presented some issued for a while.  Originally when I ordered two full-fence lowers from Nodak I had intended to make an XM177E2 (Sabrina) and an M16A1 (Charlotte).  The problem with Charlotte was that I couldn't find a nice M16A1 upper assy for a reasonable price.  There were lots of M16 uppers, so I bought one.

I had intended to get an M16A1 upper from NoDak, but just kept putting it off, putting it off...

Then I put a three-prong flash-hider on Charlotte.  That marked a turning point.  As soon as that was done the full-fence lower was WRONG, the parkerized bolt was WRONG.  With the bird-cage flash-hider she was correct as an M16 (Late R604).  The three prong was an early feature.

The early M16's had the partial fence lower and slick sided bolt carriers, earlier ones being chrome, later being parkerized with many having features both chrome and parkerized.

Charlotte is an example of a gun made at the tail end of chrome bolt carrier production.


A close up of the receiver area.


This also means that I can return Geff's bolt carrier to his M16A2 clone.  Thanks for the loan!

I also realized last night when I posted some detailed pics of my find to Arfcom that I lived in the future.  I took the pictures with my Droid 2, uploaded them to Webshots from the phone then posted them to Arfcom; again from the phone.  All need now is a flying car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.