05 October 2026

It's A Test Of Character

Sensitivity readers are a thing in gaming.

They walked over from video games and have infected tabletop role playing.

Pretty much all at once it seemed.

It's a pretty specific form of Karen where they play the tape slower and slower until, THERE'S A DIRTY WORD!

I do love the elaborate trap set in it.

If you don't care if Eskimos are offended by being exonymed...  You're insensitive and the bad guy.

You can't not care.

You MUST care and you must care CORRECTLY. 

What never factors into their decision that you need to be offended for the poor Inuit at being called Eskimos is it mattering.

They never consider the transaction.

What do I get if I stop using Eskimo and start using Inuit?

Aside: I have used the words Eskimo and Inuit more in this post than I have, combined, in my entire life.

If I keep using Eskimo to describe the native population of Alaska, how am I harmed?

Are they as harmed at being called Alaskans, North Americans or Americans?

Because they are Alaskans, Americans and North Americans.

All three terms are exonyms because they are in English. 

As for how this actually affects my life...  It doesn't.

I wasn't even aware that Inuit were offended by being labeled as Eskimos until someone at Steve Jackson Games decided to make certain they got sensitivity credit when they decided they didn't want to be offensive to the Inuit any longer.

Which brings us to the real point.

If you decide to stop being offensive, just stop being offensive.  It's its own reward.  Seeking a prize of recognition for it says you didn't do it because it's the right thing to do.

PS: This little debate makes a Homer Simpson line that much funnier,  "Lisa, vampires are make-believe, just like elves, gremlins, and Eskimos."  It's the Inuit and Yupik themselves who've insisted that there's no such people as Eskimos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.