28 August 2017

Ten Years Ago I Even Mentioned It

Corvette Things That Mess With Me

The striker is on the door.

The door latch is in the body of the car.

You press a button on the door and it sends a request to the body control module to spin a motor which unlatches the door.

If that motor dies, you've got to go in through the hatch and pull a cable to open the door.

As is normal for General Motors, if it's a Corvette part, it's expensive; if it's a Cadillac part, it's expensive; if electricity runs through it, it's expensive.

GM p/n 88956758 is all three of those things with an MSRP of $270!

I have connections, I paid less.  Much less.

I found two videos on how-to.





Neither really explains the whole thing.  Neither mentions that to get the interior trim piece out to access it, you need to also remove the piece above it and the piece that runs from above that one all the way to the other side of the car.

This will kill five of the GM p/n 15762170 push pins that keep those parts from rattling.  GM thinks those are worth $5.50 each.  Lowe's carries Hillman p/n 881201 which are two for 80¢ and it's the same part.

4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, legend said Cadillacs were easy to work on because the designers expected the dealers to do everything and they wanted to minimize hours in the shop. Chevys were put together doing whatever minimized assembly time because they figured some stupid owner would do things. So the legend went.

    However... the guy who put that lock combination in "backwards" (striker in the door, latch in the body) making all that disassembly necessary needs to be fired.

    I used to tell the young engineers, "if I did something like that, the factory would kill me and leave my head on a pike outside as a warning to others"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a Cadillac engineer who did it. It is from the design of the XLR (essentially a tarted up 5th Gen Vette) which predates my 6th Gen Vette.

      Delete
  2. "You do realize that using the Hillman part means that the car is no longer original and has halved in value, don't you?" - says some knucklehead purist, somewhere.

    I say, "Good job. Well done."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could feel the NCRS points hitting the floor when I pushed in the pins!

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.