24 September 2012

Me And The AFG

I am an early adopter of Magpul's AFG.  Mine's a first generation model in olive drab.



It was priced below my "what the hell?" threshold, so I got one.

I installed it and instantly loved it.  Because it's a first gen unit I had to relieve my XTM grip panels slightly to clear it; this is not a problem with the AFG2.

Then I decided that it was adding too much weight to the front of the gun and removed it.

Then I put it back on.

Took it back off.

I really can't make up my damn mind about it.  You can read about the initial installation here.

For the most part I like how it changes my grip on the fore-end.  It hampers operation of my light when I am firing off-handed though.  All in all I think I am happier with it on than off.  I've never liked fully vertical grips and I tend to just cradle a standard horizontal fore-end (see pic).

My poor form.
You may also notice that I've put the finger swell front strap back on the MIAD.  I've been adjusting how I hold onto the rifle to control recoil better, and the swell does help with that.  I don't like the optional swell for the AFG, so It's still not installed.

3 comments:

  1. You may have better results running the AFG as far forward as possible. Grip such that your fingers are at 6 o'clock, palm at about 8 o'clock, and thumb wrapping toward 11 o'clock. Try without the bipod, and keeping the light on the left hand side (9 o'clock) rail, you should be able to run the switch on the light with your thumb fairly well at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mounting the thing all the way forward is why I took it off last time it was on. I have to work around a congenital defect in my left shoulder. Can't shoot like Chris Costa right handed because I can't hold the rifle up with my arm straight out like that. We'll just skip over how I learned that the front sight base gets hot, OK?

    Trial and error has me into a scrunched up stance where I'm pretty comfortable and getting good results. Rationalizing it, if the range goes two way I don't have to fight my body's urge to make a smaller target. :)

    Where it's mounted now seems to be the best so far. What I was doing without it was pinching between my thumb and fingers (see pic). With the AFG, my palm is now in contact with something and I'm a lot more stable.

    The bipod is not normally mounted. It's for shooting at the range and makes a dandy prop to hold up the gun for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus the wings of the AFG interfere with the light too.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.