18 September 2012

Honest Thag's Firearms Cleaning

The Lovely Harvey has a co-worker who owns a Benelli Nova.

Being able to buy a gun does not impart common sense.

He's apparently never cleaned it and just tossed it in a cloth case after the last time he shot it.  Perhaps even the first time he shot it since there's not a whit of wear.

In and of itself, not bothering to clean immediately is no problem.  The problem was it was stored in his garage for a couple years with not a drop of oil on it.  In the arid conditions of Florida.  The parkerized barrel was red with rust.


I attacked the rust with some solvent and LSA, it's mostly black now.  There's still some places soaking oil now that look like rust, but I am reluctant to get more aggressive than a nylon brush.

This is the first time I've ever touched a Nova.  I know that I am my friend's "gun guy" so they naturally think I know everything.  Well, guns are guns really so I know a lot just by knowing a bit.

This web page is WONDERFUL!  It's got gobs and gobs of manuals for lots of guns.

The Nova is kinda a Glock-870.  Dual action bars, controls in the same place and plastic er polymer everywhere!  It balances well and seems to be well constructed otherwise.

No shooting test, not my gun.

Don't forget to donate to KTKC!

2 comments:

  1. If I were in your shoes, I would have been sorely tempted to say "Sorry, the gun's a complete loss. The barrel is pitted, the action is corroded, and the flay rod's gone askew on treadle. About the only thing that can be saved is the stock and maybe some of the internals used for parts.... tell you what, I'll give you a hundred bucks for it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the 870 in the gun safe had seen a single round through it in the last 20 years, I might have. I am just not a shotgun person anymore.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.