23 September 2012

Blame The Victim

There's how things should be and how things are.

If I left a bundle of $100 bills sitting on a table in my front yard and left for an hour, I don't expect that bundle to be there when I get back.  The person who took the bundle is a thief.  It was not their money and they had to trespass to reach it.

In should be world, my property is sacrosanct and people leave it alone even if it's easy to steal.

In real world... my money is gone.  If I dared report the theft the police would admonish me for leaving the money out where it could just grow legs.

Sadly, this scenario does apply to some rapes.

In should be world, a woman is safe regardless of how she dresses.

In real world that slinky red dress is an invitation to the rapist, where baggy sweat pants and a loose t-shirt aren't.

And that's blaming the victim.  I hate that.  The victim didn't do anything wrong.  The problem is that doesn't matter to the criminal.  How many discrete crimes are there in forcible rape?  Each and every one is wrong.  All the victim did was dress in a way that caught his eye and become the selected target.

She SHOULD be safe to transit the area.  But she isn't.  I wish she was and I want her to be.

Criminals are opportunists.  They take advantage of the situations that their victims allow to manifest around them.

Leaving the front door unlocked, for example, gives a burglar an opportunity to enter a house quickly and quietly.

Leaving the keys in a running, unattended car gives a thief an opportunity to just drive away.

Walking alone in the wrong neighborhood gives a rapist the opportunity to grab their victim.  Wearing the slinky outfit caught their attention, but didn't create the opportunity.

While the blame should be fully on the criminal, it is incumbent on us to limit their opportunities to prey upon us.

PS:

I would like to add that at no point after the crime would I attempt to deflect the criminal's responsibility for their actions.

4 comments:

  1. Amen.
    "She SHOULD be safe to transit the area. But she isn't."
    We are not doing women any favors by telling them that it's OK for them to exercise their right to be foolish and reckless.

    The only people who profit from this mentality are criminals and the VAWA-financed "victims advocacy" industry, neither of whom care about the safety of women. If billions of young women suddenly started taking responsibility for their own actions, boatloads of so-called "advocates" would lose their federally financed jobs.

    http://shiningpearlsofsomething.blogspot.com/2012/07/violence-against-women-part-2.html

    http://shiningpearlsofsomething.blogspot.com/2012/08/hey-slutwalkers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading in a campus newspaper a "cautionary tale" of a woman who invented a stranger into her dorm room late at night, and fell asleep with him still in the room.

    She woke up with him on top of her.

    Now given that she didn't leave out any pertinent information (which is very possible), is it still rape?

    Yep.

    Did she deserve to be raped?

    Nope.

    Was she unreasonably stupid in her actions?

    Yep!


    Just because I have a carry permit, and its perfectly legal for me to walk down the notorious gang areas of Boston at 2am doesn't mean that's insanely stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet, if you say anything like this on certain boards or fora, you'll be labeled a rape apologist.

    These people live in the same fantasy world as gun-control advocates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. It was gun rights advocates who led me to men's rights advocates. Now I'm an activist (I can't believe I just said that) because I despise injustice. Holding men, instead of women, accountable for women's choices, is shockingly unjust.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.