24 September 2014

More On F4D

The F4D-1 has guns.  Four 20mm Mk.12 guns in the wings.

What it lacks is ammo!  260 rounds total for all four guns (65 rounds each).  Each gun fires at 1,000 rounds per minute, so that's a total of 3.9 seconds of shooting.

The Skyray can be equipped with air-to-air rockets and sidewinders.

The rockets are useless.  Unguided rockets fired in a massive salvo were stylish in the early fifties for interceptors, but they turn out to be a idea that looks good on paper.

The AIM-9B Sidewinder is nearly useless against anything that can pull even a modicum of g to get away.  The seeker heads field of view is narrow and cannot gymbal very fast to keep tracking, never mind that the gymbal limits are also very narrow.

It was an interceptor, the AIM-9B works like a charm on bombers.

That was real world, the next is a game.  A simulation.

What I am finding in my what-if Suez crisis is the Egyptians don't have much for bombers.  I've gotten a couple of fighter kills with the 'Winder but it's mostly luck.

That the majority of my kills are with the gun says something of my accuracy since I don't have many rounds to play with.  That I can actually take time to aim says a lot of the mount.  The Skyray can maneuver with the Soviet fighters of 1956.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.