17 September 2014

Much Better

An F-8D (F8U-2N) is much better equipped to handle the Godless Soviet hordes than the F-4B is during the Cuban Missile Crisis if it had gone hot in Europe.


Here's my third mount in five days...

It's a rare close-air-support mission to blow up tanks near Hamburg.  Zuni rockets kind of suck, but I did manage to get one tank by salvoing all eight.

The Crusader, unlike the Phantom, was designed from the get-go to bring guns to bear on the target, in fact the sidewinder rails were nearly an afterthought on the F8U-1 (F-8A).  This means that it can successfully be used in a dogfight at low level!

A note...  While Strike Fighters 2 does a decent job with the squadron markings most of the time, VMF(AW)-235 should have more red and stars on the nose.



PS: Also much better is the new RAM.  With 2x1gb from before plus 2x2gb I just got from Newegg, I have 6gb!  As they say, more RAM never hurts and often helps.  Frame rates are up and lag is down.  Plus I have two more 1gb sticks coming from Ebay.  Then I'll have two empty slots...  What's to do?

2 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken, the Colt Mk12 cannon had a reputation for unreliability in the Crusader due to the way the belt feeds were set up inside the fuselage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the way the empties were allowed to dump into the bottom of the gun bay. They could find their way up into the feed-ways and cause mischief.

      My uncle Ben was an F-8 aviator, he was quick to defend the Crusader as a fighter and readily admitted that not many of her air-to-air victories were with the gun.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.