09 November 2012

An Observation

Until my ankle gave up, I was a biker.

I started riding when I was 15.

My dad always had multiple scoots so I was often on the spare.  When I grew up I got my own bike.

Dad was in a club, so I was in that club.

It's a neat culture to look at from inside and outside.

Sturgis was better before it moved out of town and became spring break for bikers. ;)  How many times did you go before you found out there was a race?

I want to share something I noticed about a little word.

Cager.

It's originally to describe someone who doesn't "get" the whole thing about riding a motorcycle.  They are surrounded by their cage; trapped in it.  That cage is represented by a car, but it was more metaphysical in its meaning than literal.  They drove a car because they couldn't grok riding rather than merely "that person is driving a car."

Over the years it's become a pejorative.  It now means "anyone in a car" and it's expressed with all the hate and bile one can find from a Klansman discussing the habits of the melanin enhanced.

Want to know something else about it?  Just like that Klansman, the most ignorant and worst riders are the first ones to fly to the term.  "How could that cager not have seen me?"  Hey, stupid, how did you not see that fucking mini-van?  These are the same people who treat "share the road" as "get the fuck out of MY way!"  These are the same people who blast to get out in front of a car then putter along at ten under who don't understand why they're being tailgated.  Yet it's the car's fault?

For those of you who've never been in motorcycle culture, remember if someone's using the word cager they're either new to it or they're a fucking moron who can't ride.

Oh, if you're reading this, use the term and are thinking, "I do so know how to ride," how does it feel to be insulted by a blanket accusation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.