28 January 2015

Pay It Forward

One of the local pawn shops Willard and I frequent has a 91/30 with a trigger flopping in the wind.  With the trigger like that, you couldn't get the bolt out.  With the bolt in, you can't really get at the rear trigger assembly screw.

Had, I should say.

I managed to get the rear screw out with a too small screwdriver and some patience, luckily it was not very tight.

Once that was out it was obvious the trigger pin was absent.

We just won't contemplate the effort it took to bull the bolt into the gun without being able to pull the trigger.

It turns out that one of the places that has lots of Mosin parts on the interwebs is local to us here, so a quick road trip down to Clearwater and Mark Kubes yielded the part and another quick trip got us back to the pawn shop where reassembly was simple and easy.

Now to resist the temptation of an M91/30 with a 1922 barrel and a hex receiver.  Not how it left the factory, but it's an interesting example.

Update:  For people linking in from Tam; this is the gun in question.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still looking for the right hex receiver 91/30. Then again, I'm still looking for the right M38 but, dayUMN, have you seen the kind of blood money 38s are bringing these days? Without the fruity folding bayonet it's a lot handier and more useful than the M44, and I should have picked one up when they were cheap; I have as hard a time acclimating to the $250+ M38 as I do the $400 Smith Model 10.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.