30 October 2013

Unicorn!

A 100 dTon Jump 6 ship is kind of a Traveller unicorn.

With the OG Book 2 and Book 5 rules you can't make a J6 ship that small because of the fuel minimums.

GURPS: Traveller Starships rules don't resemble the original Traveller stuff at all.

Erin's Duchess Cup got me to playing with the rules.

With TL12 components, you can make a 100t ship that can jump six and still pull 5.62g loaded with 8.5 dTons of mail.  It's unstreamlined and has a mere 100 DR hull like a cargo ship but there are three staterooms.

This thing is a Hot Rod!

All for a mere 55.98MCr.

For the Duchesses' Fevrchiench I took a standard TL9 Iiken 100t Scout Courier, stripped out a stateroom and changed the engineering core and jump drive to I.Y. -2210 Terran jump-3 designs.  It fits the Retro class rules in that such modifications were made during the Rule of Man for fast courier duty.

The issue is that Viru Sirka and Terran electrical standards aren't the same so the power plant doesn't play smoothly with the maneuver drives and gravitics.

All in all.  4 dTon cargo, 3 staterooms, 6 crew (double occupancy), 1.65g loaded and jump-3 when most of the competition is running higher acceleration and jump-2 should be a winner because you can make the run in 12 jumps instead of 22, saving 20 weeks of travel time!

3 comments:

  1. The more I read these Traveller tales, the more I want to run some kind of space-faring campaign, although I'd tend more towards TL9-10 tech for it (maybe with higher tech drives available at least).

    Now if only I could find players I could make actually read the relevant tech and world books to do so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is the average Imperial TL is 10 in the year 1110! TL12 is not commonly encountered because it's really the theoretical maximum.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to see if I can round up an interested crew to run it with sometime. Or possibly find someone else looking for interested crew members. Either or. Great, more worldbooks to read (I've read a bunch of them in the past week or two for a homebrew game setting I'm working on fleshing out at the moment)

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.