24 March 2014

Cost Effective

With my discovery that I actually like the MIAD in its thinest configuration, there's just no reason at all to buy a $35 pistol grip.

The $20 MOE grip is identical to a MIAD with the middle thickness back strap, so it's out too on form alone.

Luckily, the bog standard A2 grip is available in a literal rainbow of colors, for $5-7 each.  It's even easy to color match Magpul's colors!

One has to decide if storage in the grip is worth $30 plus $15 for what the grip-core you need runs.

This is another full-circle moment for me; a double loop really.  I really thought the A2 grip was the way to go when I changed from the M16A1 to the M16A2 in the service.  When I started building AR's from parts kits to make retro clones, the A2 just felt wrong compared to the older smooth front ones.  The modern guns got Magpul because the thicker grip seemed to feel better by comparison.

I put the thinner section on to see if it'd fit in the rack.  I told myself I'd just accept it.  But it turns out that if I don't play with them back to back; the thinner section DOES feel more natural.

I'll bet there's a doctorate dissertation on why the thicker one felt better back to back with the thin; but the thin puts the hand more naturally where I want it when I am not consciously attempting to compare them.

2 comments:

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.