18 March 2014

Design Finished

Got some better dimensions of the HEL E4A so I modified my drawing accordingly.

I'll be breaking the parts out (they're on different layers here) and dimensioning them so someone (me with some supervision) could make them, then printing the drawings to attach to my Form 1 and a $200 check...  In a couple of months anyways.



The new information I got was really interesting.

The rear support (tapered end) has a slot cut into it that engages on the bayonet lug.  You slide the rear support on, screw on the body down over the rear support.  There are six equidistant 8-32 holes in the support and three plain holes in the body.  Screw the body down tight, then back off to the nearest set of aligned holes.  Then you put some cap screws into the three aligned holes to hold the body to the support.  The slot in the support keeps it from unscrewing!

Ingenious!

The front cap is flush with the front of the body and has a big slot in it so you can remove the baffle stack.

This, by all accounts, will not be near as good as a modern suppressor for sound reduction, just 26 dB.  I think a similarly sized modern unit gets close to 40 dB.  But the point of this retro stuff isn't to make the best design possible, it's to recreate what was vintage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.