13 August 2009

Welcome Brunhilda

I have cleaned out the parts bin!

03AUG09
All I needed to make a whole gun was a lower receiver, lower parts kit, bolt carrier group and charging handle.


The birdcage flash suppressor was left over from making Bubba's AR. The barrel was the take-off from when Kaylee got her M4 profile. The handguards are Israeli surplus that were purchased in case I could find no other 6-hole handguards for the SBR project. The upper was bought to obtain a period correct ejection port cover. The ejection port cover here is another security purchase for the SBR. The bolt carrier group is Kaylee's old one, she's got an M&A sourced BCG now and there's an LMT BCG for the SBR on the way. The lower is a new Anvil Arms unit, as is the lower parts kit. The receiver extension (aka buffer tube) is a mil-spec one we damaged playing musical stocks trying to find one that worked with Marv's stock; I touched up the threads and it's working well. The stock is from getting an undamaged 2-position tube for the SBR. Even the sling was a left-over from deciding what Harvey preferred.


Close-up of the Izzy handguards.


20 rounds, 25m, 10 seconds. This barrel did not perform this well on Kaylee. I think that I had the slip-over flash-hider over-torqued and that was distorting the muzzle thread area making it inconsistent. Harmonics matter!

Edit: I would like to add that the funding of this was from the Obama Stimulus Package that handed every disabled veteran a whole $250! My aching leg, which will ache forever, appreciates the gesture.

13AUG09
I have put the slip-over flash-hider back on this barrel and returned to the A1 pistol grip; just for looks. Brunhilda is now doing an imitation of a GAU-5A/A (R630). She also tips the scale at 7.5 lbs where she was 7.2 with the birdcage hider. For reference, Kaylee was 8.0 lbs with this barrel configuration and is 7.2 now with the M4 profile barrel and M16A2 flash-hider.


Brunhilda now has the flash-hider, barrel, and bolt carrier group that Kaylee started out with.

UPDATE:
18AUG09
Bollocks to the slip over! Damn thing is too heavy, it unbalances the gun. I had it right the first time through! I added a rubber butt pad to the stock and that helps the balance a lot. 7.4 lbs now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.