03 October 2011

Statism.

Wanting a government at all does not a statist make.

Minarchists are not statists in the same manner that a single drop of toxic waste turns a drum of spring water into toxic waste.

There are lots of things that are simply done better centrally.

There are lots of things that are simply clusterfucks when done centrally.

Likewise, there are many things that simply don't get done at all if left to individuals.

I want to maximize liberty.  I want the freedom to do the most I want.  My freedom has to be tempered with not messing with other people.

Loud music is something where lots of anarchist and libertarian ideals fall apart.

My neighbor's music infringes on my right to solace in my home.  If he refuses to turn it down has he initiated force?  What are my reasonable options?  Is it right to kill him over the subwoofer?  Can I levy a fine?  What happens if he doesn't pay?  Do I shoot him now?

Seems like all I have is learn to deal with his rudeness, kill him or move.  Do I have all my options listed?

It's practical, real-world, situations like that where I wonder about the viability of the libertarian utopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.