28 June 2026

XM274 Revisted And Edited

Gun Stats says it can do cannon.  In fact, they give us the detailed process of making the 120mm M256 firing the M829A3 APFSDSDU round.

So I decided to see if the numbers I pulled out of my ass for Twilight 2000 were even close.

The initial APFSDSDU round did 6dx19(2) pi++ inc out to 4,800/16,600.  This round didn't last long in testing and never got an XM designation.

XM885 (Delta 3) APFSDSDU round did 6dx25(2) pi++ inc out to 4,800/16,600.

XM885 (Delta 6) APFSDSDU round did 6dx28(2) pi++ inc out to 4,800/16,600.  Delta 6 might have become M885A1 if development had continued.

XM884 HE-AB did 6dx11(0.5) pi++, follow-up 6dx3 [4d-1] cr ex out to 2,400/8,300. 

The penetrator is 19mm in diameter and 380mm long, so it's definitely a long-rod with its 20:1 LDR. 

Gun Stats says a long rod penetrator APFSDSDU should do:

XM885 does 6dx25(2) pi+ inc out to 9,340/30,600.

XM884 does 6dx12(0.5) pi+, linked 6dx3 [4d-1] cr ex out to 4,670/15,300.

I get more range, regardless.  I'm giddy how close my original XM884 round was and I'm happy that the calculated damage matches the published penetration values for the Delta 3 round.  Not sure how to get it to spit out the published Delta 6 values, except for the section on page 23 saying to just calculate the damage off the actual values rather than the what the formula says.

The delta 6 is calculated as a "long rod" round, delta 3 was not, but there's some speculation that it was also heavier than the delta 3, which could up the damage.

If delta 3 was always a long rod and 6 is heavier...  But I don't think that 2.91kg is realistic.

Acc changed from 8 to 5+3.  ST changed from 70M to 62M.  Rcl changed from 10 to 4. 

I think I can live with these numbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.