22 June 2017

Bowling Pins With GURPS

My best run, round 4, was a whopping 6 seconds.

That's six turns in GURPS.

Let's look at the givens.

The range was 5 yards; -2 to hit.

They're smaller than a torso and skinny; let's say -7 to hit.

All-Out Attack (Determined); +1.

No risk to self; +1.

No risk to others; +1.

Moderately well lit indoor range; +3.

-3 to skill in the first round.

We add an additional +3 for later rounds because now the range and speed are known (determined by seeing what missed and what hit).

-0 to skill for rounds 2 through 4.

Of course, we have no idea what my Guns/TL8 (Pistol) is.

And we don't know if a hit that knocked a pin over, but left it on the table is a function of damage or a missed hit.  It could be represented as a miss by one, or it could be just a crappy damage roll.

Let's call knocked over a miss by one.

In round one I fired 9 shots, two misses and two missed by ones.  Five of the shots were slow enough that I should get the +2 for the pistol's Acc (first shot and last four).

Timer goes off and I aim for 1 second.
Shot 1: Skill -1, hit.
Shot 2: Skill -3, miss by 1.
Shot 3: Skill -3, miss.
Shot 4: Skill -3, miss by 1.
Shot 5: Skill -3, miss.
I slow down start aiming between shots.
Shot 6: Skill -1, hit.
Shot 7: Skill -1, hit.
Shot 8: Skill -1, hit.
Shot 9: Skill -1, hit.

In round 2 I fired 6 shots 8 seconds.

Again I aim before my first shot.
Shot 1: Skill +2, hit.
Shot 2: Skill +0, miss by one.
Shot 3: Skill +0, hit.
Shot 4: Skill +0, hit.
Shot 5: Skill +0, hit.
I pause to aim.
Shot 6: Skill +2, hit.

Rounds 3 and 4 are about identical.  5 shots, 6 seconds.

I aim before my first shot.
Shot 1: Skill +2, hit.
Shot 2: Skill +0, hit.
Shot 3: Skill +0, hit.
Shot 4: Skill +0, hit.
Shot 5: Skill +0, hit.

What are the probabilities and statistics?  Hey, FuzzyGeff!  You're good with stats!

I have 25 shots fired.  No misses at from 4 at +2 to hit.  One miss by one and 11 hits at +0 to hit.  5 hits at -1 to hit and two misses by 1 and two misses with a -3 to hit.

Update:

If we count the knocked down, but not off as bad damage rolls, my Guns/TL8 (Pistol) skill is 15.

Now I wonder what my DX is!

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the question of miss by one or crappy damage. That's the thing to think about.
    I'm inclined to say damage because you're not transferring enough force into the pin to push it off the table.
    But honestly equally valid is that you're not striking the correct zone, miss by one, to knock it off the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough nut because the variable of damage is dependent on the precise location of the hit.

      So a bit off the sweet spot and it falls over instead of being knocked off the table.

      But there's a couple instances in the rules where a miss by one still scores a hit, but not in the desired location...

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.