13 November 2013

Inside Joke

There are more than a few things that require perspective to understand.

There are more than a few perspectives that require particular experience to gain.

Thus, without the experience, the perspective is unattainable and understanding is impossible.

I've seen this a lot as a veteran.

The people who've never been don't understand because they lack the experiences that would let them see it from where they aren't.

There are things that are hilarious to veterans that are baffling, insulting or distasteful to...  I don't want to call them civilians because I am most assuredly now a civilian too.

A classic example is giving birth.  This is something a man cannot understand and a woman will not understand until they have had a child.

Outsiders might comprehend, but they will not understand.

I've noticed a couple of turns of phrase where the reader asks, "what does that mean?"  When I explain, I have not illuminated them in the slightest.

I've noticed that we tell jokes that are... well... distastefully disrespectful.  The color of military humor is black and the moisture level is very VERY low.  It's a coping mechanism and not accessible fully to an outsider.

Like when I am at the bottom of a frozen ditch in Germany.  Both legs broken.  Waist deep in the the knee deep water because both shins are bent around more than 90 degrees.  The TC, after asking where I was and how I got down there and learning I'd broken my legs, "What did you learn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.