28 June 2026

Local Debate

Salami on a Cuban is the beans in chili of Florida food.

7 comments:

  1. Salami? WTaF? Any Torta Cubana I've seen generally has some combination of ham, pulled pork or pork cutlet, maybe even chorizo but processed lunch meat?

    And I like beans, but here in Texas they're served separately from chili unless you want to take a lot of ribbing. Or you just call it bean soup.
    -swj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, Texas is wrong about this. Several historians have dug into it and the earliest recipes for chili have beans.

      Second, the Cuban sandwich was invented in Tampa, Ybor City to be exact and included salami from day one.

      Third, proper salami isn't the bullshit Oscar Mayer shit you can buy at the grocery store but stuff you need a real Italian deli to get.

      Delete
    2. FOURTH! It's Cuban Sandwich, not Torta Cubana. Because it's an American invention combining ingredients contributed by Cuban, German and Italian workers from the cigar rolling industry.

      Side note: It's also fun listening to Spanish speakers pronouncing a lot of Florida place names with proper Spanish pronunciation and not realizing the correct way to say it is in Gringoese because they never learned to speak Spanish when they tried to make it sound fancy and exotic to retirees from Michigan, New Jersey and New York.

      Delete
    3. I've had a similar experience with a Frenchman in Oregon. He was perplexed by our pronouncing the S in Deschutes. Oregon has a lot of French place names courtesy of Hudson's Bay Company voyageurs but we ma gle the pronunciation

      Delete
  2. The first Cuban sandwich in the US was from Tamps, Fl and it had Genoa salami.
    And I prefer my chili with beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a debate about the mustard used on a Cuban?

    Somewhere, I got the impression that it isn't considered to be a real Cuban unless you use French's mustard, or something very close to that.

    ==Dwight Brown
    stainles@mac.com
    https://www.sportsfirings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No debate about yellow mustard. Must be included. Even in Miami.

      There's some debate about mayo. The OG sammich didn't have it, but lots of people request it.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.