22 September 2015

Mutinous

I'm reading "The Caine Mutiny" by Herman Wouk.

I might be re-reading it.  If I've read it before (and I think I have) it's been so long I don't remember what I'm reading.

One thing is standing out though.

Just how readable this book is.

Mr Wouk is simply narrating the story, he's not creating a new means of narration.  I've read far too many novels where the book was far more about HOW the story was being told than the story itself that it's refreshing to dig into one where the story takes center stage.

It's perhaps because Wouk didn't write in a world where there were hipsters controlling book reviews and awards.

Writing this also makes me realize that most of the worst books I've read were recommended by one person, and even if they don't realize it; they're a hipster: hilt deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.