28 August 2013

O O OO O O

I've been watching The Big O lately.

It's anime.  It has giant robots.

I imagine the pitch meeting though...

Creator: Then Roger Smith summons his giant robot which bursts up through the street and...
Producer: That seems a disruption of the narrative and a distraction from the overall plot, why does the giant robot burst up through the street now?
Creator:  Because GIANT ROBOT!
Producer:  I'm with you.

And in many ways that's kind of how it is.  There's an episode plot, a series arc and some fights with giant robots that may, or may not, have anything to do with either.  And it's OK.

There's even a half satisfying ending that "explains" the existence of the robots.

All in all, good fun and far more consistent than Pacific Rim.

Yeah, I said it.  A Japanese pseudo Batman with a giant robot aimed entirely at selling toys of same is better than a giant budget hollywood CGI film.  Even if the explanation for giant robots in the anime is BECAUSE GIANT ROBOT!!!eleven!!

By the way...


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.