21 November 2015

Utah CWP

Because I've been invited to attend an old friend's wedding in Seattle, I needed a carry permit that works in Washington.

Florida's permit, she is no good.  Washington's permit is no good here, that will show them!  Reciprocity with Florida is "you take ours, we take yours" and we don't accept non-resident permits from out of state, but we shall-issue to non-residents no problem.

What I needed was a permit Washington recognized with the same happy "issue to out of staters" as home.

My first thought was to simply get a Washington non-resident permit.  It's relatively cheap and simple.  Except you have to apply in person (and renew in person) making it the most expensive permit on the list because of transportation costs.

Most of the permits that Washington accepts don't have a non-resident permit, and nearly all that do have a similar apply in person problem (or require a class that's only available in-state).

Utah is on a very short list here.  While they do require a class that teaches their specific curricula, they're happy to license instructors from out of state to teach it out of state.

For my local instruction I chose Equip2Conceal out of Clearwater.

The class was far more thorough than the Florida version with regards to the laws involved and the class included comparisons with Florida laws.  It's a stark contrast between South-Infected-With-Damnyankee and The-West.  Many of Utah's carry laws are simply saner than Florida's.

I am very well prepared to carry a gun in Utah.

Ironically I have no intention of stepping foot there in the near future.  The class does nothing to prepare the student to carry in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, or Wyoming.  Bold for a state that I could carry in without the Utah permit...

The new permit, of course, allows me to carry in Utah; but so does my resident Florida permit.  My home-state permit lets me carry in Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina too; which are off limits to the non-resident Utah CWP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.