07 March 2018

Darn Tootin' I'm Scared

I find I am constantly surrounded by people who discount my humanity.

People who seek to make me an 'other'.

Creating the other is one of the first steps in eradicating a people.

It's literally dehumanizing someone so that they can be killed without feeling bad about killing them.

That's scary.

The people who are actively dehumanizing me because I am white, straight, male and own a gun have shown no reluctance to use violence to achieve their goals.

A propensity towards violence that is approaching the point where it's going to be legal to preemptively shoot first because they're making actionable threats with a history of carrying them out.

That's scary.

John Aquilino was right.

I don't want to be scared any more.

But it's not my decision.  Someone else needs to stop being scary.

It should also be noted that I know the measure of fear.  I know how I respond to it.  It's not a crippling situation for me to be frightened.

Someone who's bent on scaring me should bear that in mind.

There are peaceable solutions to this problem, but it has to begin with the other side of this debate acknowledging and defending my humanity!

I'm especially angry at being dehumanized because I've gone against the grain of "my" side and argued for the humanity of others.

You might even know one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.