14 March 2018

Time Shift

With Florida poised to enter Atlantic Standard Time come November, I wonder how many businesses are going to keep on with the time change.

The reason I wonder is businesses on Central time do most everything at the same time as Eastern.

Central time goes to work at 8, where Eastern goes at 9.

The news is on at 10 in central where it's on at 11 in Eastern.

But due to the time zone, they're happening at the same time.

For touristy stuff, local time will suffice, but I wonder about places that are part of an out of state network.

Staying on Eastern and observing the daylight savings time changes makes sense and adds less complication.

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally down with this except for Central time goes to work at 8, where Eastern goes at 9. For the last 40 years of my career I never worked at a place that started as late 8. 7:30 was the norm.

    Of course, that was all in the manufacturing world and everyone knows there's no manufacturing in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the engineering department, we rolled in an hour after you people who worked for a living did!

      Delete
  2. Where I worked for my last 20 years, we were unofficially on Flex time. Some guys came in at 7:30 and worked till 4; others came in closer to 9 and stayed till 5:30. I was used to 7:30, so I stayed on that schedule.

    The actual factory had three shifts and I think it started at 6:30.

    My biggest surprise in retirement is that I thought I was wired to be up early, but I'm not. I figured maybe I wouldn't get up at 6, but closer to 6:30 or for sure by 7. Nope. Most days I'm up by 7:30, but if something kept me up a lot, I'll sleep to 9:30.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the 80's I lived in the eastern time zone and worked on the central time zone. It was almost magic, when you came down our driveway, it turned into central time.
    Many conversations included "my time or yours".

    DST or Standard time, wish they would pick one and stick to it.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.